Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I know it's bad...



... it's an aggressive, invasive and non-native species that should be eradicated from our Island.
But to me it will always be part of the eternal background of my childhood summers along with khaki-coloured lichen, dark grey granite, ochre grass and cerulean skies. When it was hot enough to make the road shimmer we'd start hearing the POP POP POP of the scotch broom seed pods. We would take the flower buds and coax them open to use as puppet heads, and we used the sticks as swords or magic wands or roof arches, as the need arose.
I know now that it's a horrid weed, but I loved them as a kid. Isn't that always the way?

Anyways, I was stuck home today with an ill husband. While he moaned dramatically on the couch I painted in my little, almost-all-done journal.

3 comments:

deb said...

Oh broom, funny how our memories are cluttered with such stuff isn't it? Near my childhood home was a whole field of broom, and I loved the bright yellow of it against the dark dark foliage in the spring, and it was excellent to hide inside of!Thanks for sparking such a vivid memory, I have often wondered if I could grow it here where I now live in the US, hmmm now I am wondering again!!

rivergardenstudio said...

These pages are beautiful, rich with warm tones and thoughts... love your drawings and the way you work with your collage... and thanks for stopping by! Roxanne

Kelly said...

I love these pages. I remember playing with weeds when I was young and now as an adult discovering they were weeds ~ I laugh to myself and say 'oh well, I had fun when I was a kid!' and watch my kids play with them now!